Aaliyah, Talking Heads, Van Halen, Cure Mash Up with me on bass


My good friend Jon Ragel of Boy Eats Drum Machine invited me to “join” his band for a show at Portland’s Wonder Ballroom on Saturday August 16th. The premise being that it is a Talking Heads and Cure cover show! Ha! But put Jon and Dave in a room and you’re not going to get just any old cover songs…. This will be my first foray outside of Gang of Four in a long time and having worked so speedily Jon beats my other outfit Faux Hoax to the finish line. Jon explains the show details below:
BEDM Mashup

Hi PDX peeps! Boy Eats Drum Machine will be a part of Wonder Ballroom’s Talking Heads + Cure tribute night on Saturday 8/16. I’ve put together a live band lineup for the event, and instead of simply doing covers, we will be performing what I like to call ‘Live Mashups’. Myself (vox/turntable), Dave Allen (bass), Benjy Rickard (guitar/synth), and Paul Alcott (drums) will be tweaking Talking Heads and Cure songs over the grooves of Aaliyah, Michael Jackson, and Gang Of Four.

Below I have a live mashup to share with you. It’s got an Aaliyah groove with Talking Heads (Once In A Lifetime) and Cure (Lullaby) lyrics. There’s some Van Halen ‘Eruption’ guitar in there too.

Please feel free to share it with all of your pals. The idea is not only to spread love and musical goodness, but to promote the show a bit too. I mean, booking Dave for bass duties wasn’t cheap ya’ll! (Just kidding—love ya’ DA!) I will have another Live Mash to send you next week too. This time, with a Michael Jackson groove. I had hoped to get Paul into the basement last weekend to lay down some drums in order to finish it sooner but somehow his recent schedule performing with Dat’r, Dykeritz, Sweater, and Lackthereof got in the way. Paul. He’s a beaut. We’re going to have fun. Also, former full-time BEDM multiskilled multi-instrumentalist Benjy Rickard is laying down the guitar and synth. Yes, Benjy has got multi-skillz.

No comments: